If you're ready to take your taco game to the next level, I have the best taco season mixture for you! It’s a product o my lentil Taco filling recipe- and after it magically transformed lentils into an irresistible taco filling, I had to try it with some chicken. It turns out its magical qualities work on poultry as well as legumes. Say goodbye to store-bought packets filled with artificial additives and high sodium and hello to a homemade blend of spices that will jazz up your next taco night.
Cumin is the backbone of many Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes, and it plays a crucial role in our chicken taco seasoning. With its warm and earthy flavor, ground cumin adds depth and complexity to the seasoning blend. Its nutty and slightly smokiness provide a distinctive taste that pairs perfectly with the other spices. Cumin also offers a hint of bitterness, which helps balance out the overall flavor profile.
A key player in adding heat and robust flavor, chili powder brings a fiery kick to our seasoning blend. Depending on your spice preference, you can choose mild or hot chili powder to customize the level of heat in your tacos. If you like it really spicy- consider adding cayan pepper to the recipe- about ½ the amount of chili powder.
Dried oregano lends a herbaceous aroma and flavor to our chicken taco seasoning. With its slightly bitterness and earthiness, it complements the other spices and adds a refreshing dimension to the overall profile.
Smoked paprika brings a rich and smoky element to our seasoning blend, imparting a mouthwatering depth of flavor. Made from dried and smoked red peppers, it adds a distinct smokiness that enhances the overall taste of the chicken. The subtle sweetness of smoked paprika balances out the heat from the chili powder.
Salt and Pepper:
Salt and pepper are the unsung heroes of any seasoning blend. While they may seem simple, their role is vital in bringing out the full potential of the other spices. Salt enhances the overall flavor profile, intensifying the taste of each ingredient. Meanwhile, freshly ground pepper adds gentle heat and a subtle zing, contributing to the overall complexity of the seasoning blend. These two essential ingredients help to harmonize the flavors and ensure a well-rounded and balanced seasoning.
Slow Cooker Taco Chicken:
If you're looking for an easy and tasty way to prepare taco chicken, the slow cooker (crock pot) is your best friend. The low and slow cooking method allows you to set it and forget it, resulting in tender and flavorful chicken.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 tablespoons chicken taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa (choose your preferred level of spiciness)
- ¼ cup chicken broth or water
- Place the chicken breasts or thighs in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the chicken taco seasoning evenly over the chicken, ensuring it's well coated on all sides.
- Pour the salsa and chicken broth or water over the chicken, distributing it evenly.
- Gently stir to combine the ingredients, making sure the chicken is well coated with the seasoning and salsa mixture.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours until the chicken is tender and easily shreds with a fork.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred it using two forks.
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and mix it with the flavorful cooking liquid. Let it sit for an additional 15-20 minutes to allow the chicken to absorb the flavors.
- Serve the taco chicken in warm tortillas, garnished with your favorite toppings such as diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, grated cheese, sour cream, and fresh cilantro.
More Ways Use Taco Seasoning:
There's no doubt that taco seasoning is a game-changer when it comes to infusing flavor into your chicken tacos. But its versatility extends far beyond just tacos. This sensational seasoning blend can be your secret weapon in a variety of dishes, adding a burst of Mexican-inspired flavors to elevate your culinary creations. Let's explore some exciting ways to use chicken taco seasoning:
Grilled Chicken: Give your grilled chicken a vibrant twist by incorporating chicken taco seasoning into your marinade. Simply mix the seasoning with some olive oil, lime juice, and a touch of garlic. Let the chicken marinate for a few hours to allow the flavors to penetrate the meat. Then, fire up the grill.
Roasted Vegetables: Chicken taco seasoning isn't just for chicken—it can work wonders on roasted vegetables too! Toss your favorite vegetables, such as bell peppers, onions, zucchini, and corn, with a drizzle of olive oil and a generous sprinkle of the seasoning blend. Roast them in the oven until they're tender and slightly charred. The smoky, herbaceous flavors of the seasoning will transform ordinary vegetables into a vibrant and irresistible side dish or filling for vegetarian tacos.
Green Tacos (with green lentil filling): this taco season is what makes my Green Lentil Taco so tasty.
Guacamole: Elevate your guacamole game by incorporating a pinch of chicken taco seasoning into the mix. Mash ripe avocados with diced tomatoes, red onions, fresh cilantro, lime juice, and a sprinkling of the seasoning.
Make a big batch
The recipe card provided below is designed to yield a large batch of chicken taco seasoning. By preparing a larger quantity of the seasoning, you can ensure that you always have some readily available whenever you're in the mood for a burst of Mexican-inspired flavors. It's a time-saving and convenient solution.
To make the most of this large batch, it's important to store the chicken taco seasoning properly. An airtight container is your best ally in preserving the freshness and flavor of the seasoning blend. Choose a container that seals tightly to prevent moisture and air from entering and causing the spices to lose their potency. A glass jar with a tight-fitting lid or a plastic container specifically designed for storing spices is an excellent options.
If you’ve tried this Chicken Taco Seasoning Recipe recipe or any other recipe on BalancingBowls, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below! You can also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to see more tasty meals and anything else I’m up to.
Chicken Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 4 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Combian all the spices in a bowl.
- Store in an air tight container.